Slayer2

Less than 24 hours ago Dave Lombardo, original drummer of legendary thrash act Slayer, came forward to offer an explanation as to why the band had chosen to use a replacement drummer for their upcoming Australian tour. In his Facebook post, Lombardo explains that he was removed from the tour after questioning the band’s business model, which he felt was unfair to the members of the band.

Lombardo states “Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us.” According to Lombardo, when he expressed his concern to the band and propose a new business model “Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.” Read the full post here.

Today Slayer provided an official statement to , giving their own version of the events. Part of the statement reads as follows: “SLAYER confirms that Jon Dette will drum for the band on its Australian tour that starts this Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane. As regards Dave Lombardo’s Facebook post, SLAYER does not agree with Mr. Lombardo’s substance or the timeline of the events, except to acknowledge that Mr. Lombardo came to the band less than a week before their scheduled departure for Australia to present an entirely new set of terms for his engagement that were contrary to those that had been previously agreed upon. The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia.” Read the full Blabbermouth story here.

However this all plays out one thing’s for sure: it’s a sad day for metal…

By: Alxs Ness

Copyright © 2004-2013 ABORT Magazine. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this publication, in whole or in part, in any form or medium without express written permission from Abort Media Publishing Corporation (AMP Corp.) is prohibited. All use is subject to our Terms of Use.

No tags for this post.